From the Lighthouses of Australia website, information on The Mersey Bluff Lighthouse:
LOCATION: Latitude 41° 10′ S, Longitude 146° 21’E (Map)
OPERATOR: Australian Maritime Safety Authority
CHARACTER: Group Flashing (4) in 20.0 Seconds
LIGHT SOURCE: 1000 Watt 120v, Tungsten Halogen
POWER SOURCE: 120V DC Battery Bank Charged from 240V Mains Supply
INTENSITY: White: 43,800 cd; Red: 8,700 cd
ELEVATION: 37 Metres
RANGE: White: 17 Nautical Miles; Red: 14 Nautical Miles
HEIGHT: 13 Metres
The Mersey Bluff Lighthouse was established in 1889 and is built of bricks on a stone base. Work on the lighthouse started on October 16 1888, and was completed almost 12 months later on May 28 1889. The original Chance Bros. 4th order dioptric lens was first lit on 2nd August 1889, and used kerosene. The first lighthouse keeper was Mr W. Jacques, transferred from Swan Island. A second house was later built for the assistant keeper. The original lighthouse in 1889 replaced a succession of beacons and obelisks that had formerly stood on the site. It also replaced the earlier Don River light. In 1910 the original kerosene lamp was converted to acetylene gas which was supplied by a Colt seven-day acetylene generator.
The light was converted to DC electric operation in 1920 and de-manned at the same time. The Lighthouse was converted to hydro electricity with gas standby in 1952, and a 2nd order (700mm) fixed lens was installed. The keepers’ houses were let to local tenants until they were demolished in 1966. In 1978 it was further converted to all electric operation. The lighthouse stands on top of the bluff to western side of the mouth of the Mersey River in Tasmania north of the Port of Devonport. The establishment of the lighthouse ended a history of wrecks in this area. The Commonwealth assumed responsibility for the lighthouse under the Commonwealth Lighthouse Act in 1915. Four vertical red stripers were painted to the lighthouse in 1929 giving it its distinctive and memorable appearance. It is unusual for an Australian lighthouse to have vertical stripes in its day mark. Another unusual feature of this light-station is that it was connected to town water in 1901.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMERS: Vessel description is provided in good faith and is believed to be correct and accurate but no assurances, warranties or representations are made herewith. Vessel description is provided for entertainment purposes only. We have no responsibility whatsoever for any errors / omissions in vessel description.
Access to this blog signifies the reader’s irrevocable acceptance of this disclaimer. No part of this blog can be reproduced by any means and under any circumstances, whatsoever, in whole or in part, without proper attribution or the consent of the copyright and trademark holders of this website. Whilst every effort has been made to ensure that information herewithin has been received from sources believed to be reliable and such information is believed to be accurate at the time of publishing, no warranties or assurances whatsoever are made in reference to accuracy or completeness of said information, and no liability whatsoever will be accepted for taking or failing to take any action upon any information contained in any part of this website. Thank you for the consideration.