Images from Crossing the Corinth Canal in Greece

The Corinth Canal (Greek: Διώρυγα της Κορίνθου) connects the Gulf of Corinth in the west with the Saronic Gulf in the east, which flows in the Aegean Sea. The Canal cuts through the narrow strip of land, the Isthmus of Corinth that connects the Peloponnese peninsula and mainland Greece. The eastern harbor in the Saronic Gulf is called Isthmia while the western harbor is named Poseidonia, after the Olympian god of the Seas, Poseidon.

The Canal has been excavated at sea level, and thus there is no need for canal locks. It is 6.4 kilometers (4 mi) long, and 21.4 meters (70 ft) wide at its base. Construction for the modern Canal started in 1881 with completion in 1893. The Canal is crossed by a railway line, a road and a motorway at a height of about 45 meters (148 ft).

The Canal saves appr. 700-kilometre (430 mi) from circumnavigating the Peloponnese peninsula, and accommodates appr. 11,000 ship passages per annum. Ships can pass through the canal only one convoy at a time on a one-way system. Larger ships have to be towed by tugs. In October 2019, With over 900 passengers on board, the 22.5 meters (74 ft) wide and 195 meters (640 ft) long Fred.Olsen cruise ship successfully traversed the canal to set a new record for longest ship to pass through the Canal.

The Corinth Canal is managed today by the Ανώνυμη Εταιρεία Διώρυγας Κορίνθου (Α.Ε.ΔΙ.Κ) (Société Anonyme of the Corinth Canal), and we are grateful to the Canal’s management for the invitation to visit the Canal and its premises and cross the Canal onboard a tug towing a small bulker for the crossing.

History

The construction of the Canal was initially conceived as early as in the 7th century BC by the tyrant of Corinth Periander but the idea was soon abandoned. Instead, Periander constructed a simpler and less costly overland portage road, named the Diolkos or stone carriageway, along which ships could be towed from one side of the isthmus to the other. While Diadoch Demetrius Poliorcetes (336–283 BC) and the Roman Emperors Julius Caesar (100 – 44 BC) and Caligula (12 – 41 AD) considered the construction of the Canal, it was the Roman Emperor Nero (37 – 68 AD) to first physically attempt to construct the canal, personally breaking the ground with a pickaxe and removing the first basket-load of soil in 67 AD; the Canal was dug to a distance of four stades – approximately 700 meters (2,300 ft) by a workforce of 6,000 Jewish prisoners of war – along the course of today’s Canal.  The project was abandoned soon after Nero’s death. A memorial of the attempt in the form of a relief of Hercules was left by Nero’s workers and can still be seen in the canal cutting today.

View from the Gulf of Corinth facing the harbor of Poseidonia, on the west end of the Corinth Canal. Image credit: Karatzas Images

A small dry bulk vessel is towed westbound by one of the Canal’s tugs. Seen here exiting the Canal. Image credit: Karatzas Images

A small dry bulk vessel is towed westbound by one of the Canal’s tugs. Image credit: Karatzas Images

The Roman Emperor Nero was the first to physically attempt digging the Corinth Canal in 67 AD. He died shortly after commencing engineering preparations and excavation operations, but a relief on the rock by the Poseidonia end of the Canal memorializes the vision for future generations and eternity. Image credit: Karatzas Images

A drybuk vessel approaching the Poseidonia end of the Corinth Canal (seen in the background) for its eastbound crossing. Image credit: Karatzas Images

A drybuk vessel approaching the Poseidonia end of the Corinth Canal (seen in the background) for its eastbound crossing. Image credit: Karatzas Images

A drybuk vessel approaching the Poseidonia end of the Corinth Canal (seen in the background) for its eastbound crossing. Image credit: Karatzas Images

Crossing westbound the Corinth Canal with the railway and motorway crossings clearly visible overhead. Image credit: Karatzas Images

Crossing westbound the Corinth Canal with the railway and motorway crossings clearly visible overhead. Image credit: Karatzas Images

Approaching the Corinth Canal at the Isthmia Harbour (east end of Canal, in the Saronic Gulf and Aegean Sea). The pillars for sinking bridge to accommodate the local traffic are clearly visible, as well as the railway and motorway crossings over the Canal. Image credit: Karatzas Images

Approaching the Corinth Canal at the Isthmia Harbour (east end of Canal, in the Saronic Gulf and Aegean Sea). The railway and motorway crossings over the Canal are clearly visible. Image credit: Karatzas Images

Having successfully crossed westbound the Corinth Canal (and having saved appr. twelve hours of sailing time), a small drybulk vessel originating from the Black Sea and destined for the Adriatic Sea, emerges on the west end (Poseidonia) of the Corinth Canal. Image credit: Karatzas Images


© 2013 – present Basil M Karatzas & Karatzas Images. All Rights Reserved.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMERS: The purpose of this blog is for entertainment and information purposes. Vessel description(s), if any, is/are provided in good faith and believed to be correct and accurate but no assurances, warranties or representations are made herewith. Any vessel description(s) is/are provided for entertainment purposes only. We assume no responsibility whatsoever for any errors / omissions in vessel description.

Access to this blog signifies the reader’s irrevocable acceptance of this disclaimer. No part of this blog can be reproduced by any means and under any circumstances, whatsoever, in whole or in part, without proper attribution or the consent of the copyright and trademark holders of this website. To purchase rights or merchandise of high resolutions images and art presented here, please visit www.karatzas.nyc or email < info [at] BMKaratzas.com >. Thank you for the consideration.

Images of Nobska Lighthouse Woods Hole, Massachusetts

Images of Lighthouse ‘Nobska Light’ at Woods Hole, Cape Cod

Year Station Established: 1829                                                                                  Year Present Tower Built: 1876                                                                                         Year Automated: 1985

Location: Nobska Rd., Falmouth, Massachusetts
                                                           Coordinates: 41°30′59″N 70°39′27″W
Area: 2.1 acres (0.85 ha)

Architectural Style: Italianate, Federal Revival                                                                NRHP Referece No: 87001483

Construction Materials: Cast iron with brick lining
                                                             Auxiliary Buildings Still Standing: 1876 keeper’s house, oil house, storage building, radio beacon house.

Tower Height: 40 feet
                                                                                                        Height of Focal Plane: 87 feet                                                                                        Earlier Optic: Fifth-order Fresnel lens
                                                                                Present Optic: Fourth-order Fresnel lens (1888)

Characteristic: Flashing white every six seconds with a red sector                                   Fog Signal: Two blasts every 30 seconds                                                                         Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation.

In April 2016 the Town of Falmouth was granted a license by the Coast Guard to care for the light station property.  A nonprofit, the Friends of Nobska Light, has been formed.

Nobska Light, originally called Nobsque Light, also known as Nobska Point Light is a lighthouse located at the division between Buzzards Bay and Vineyard Sound in Woods Hole, Massachusetts on the southwestern tip of Cape Cod, Massachusetts. It overlooks Martha’s Vineyard and Nonamesset Island. The light station was added to the National Register of Historic Places as Nobska Point Light Station in 1987.

Visitor Information: The tower and dwelling are not opened to the public currently, but Friends of Nobska Light plans to open them in the future. The lighthouse is owned by the Town of Falmouth. Grounds open, dwelling/tower closed.


Credit: various sources including Wikipedia, National Register of Historic Places, Massachusetts Lighthouses, Friends of Nobska Light. Images Credit:  Karatzas Images


To view additional images of the Nobska Light taken in the afternoon autumn sun, please visit our blog by clicking here!


To visit the official page of the Nobska Light, please visit the “Friends of Nobska Light”, please click here, and please consider DONATING to this 501(c)(3) non-profit organization!


Image of Nobska Light in chilly early morning in spring. Light still on! Image credit: Karatzas Images

Image of Nobska Light in chilly early morning in spring. Light still on! Image credit: Karatzas Images

Image of Nobska Light in chilly early morning in spring. Image credit: Karatzas Images

Image of Nobska Light in chilly early morning in spring. Image credit: Karatzas Images

Image of Nobska Light in chilly early morning in spring. Image credit: Karatzas Images

Image of Nobska Light in chilly early morning in spring. Image credit: Karatzas Images

Image of Nobska Light in chilly early morning in spring. Image credit: Karatzas Images

Image of Nobska Light in chilly early morning in spring. Image credit: Karatzas Images

Image of Nobska Light in chilly early morning in spring. Image credit: Karatzas Images

Nobska Light gloating in the early morning sun. Image credit: Karatzas Images

Image of Nobska Light gloating in the early morning sun. Image credit: Karatzas Images

Nobska Light gloating in the early morning sun. Image credit: Karatzas Images

Nobska Light gloating in the early morning sun. Image credit: Karatzas Images

 

© 2013 – present Basil M Karatzas & Karatzas Images. All Rights Reserved.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMERS: The purpose of this blog is for entertainment and information purposes. Vessel description(s), if any, is/are provided in good faith and believed to be correct and accurate but no assurances, warranties or representations are made herewith. Any vessel description(s) is/are provided for entertainment purposes only. We assume no responsibility whatsoever for any errors / omissions in vessel description.

Access to this blog signifies the reader’s irrevocable acceptance of this disclaimer. No part of this blog can be reproduced by any means and under any circumstances, whatsoever, in whole or in part, without proper attribution or the consent of the copyright and trademark holders of this website. To purchase rights or merchandise of high resolutions images and art presented here, please visit www.karatzas.nyc or email < info [at] BMKaratzas.com >. Thank you for the consideration.

Images of Mersey Bluff Lighthouse, in Devonport, Tasmania

From the Lighthouses of Australia website, information on The Mersey Bluff Lighthouse:

OPERATION
LOCATION: Latitude 41° 10′ S, Longitude 146° 21’E (Map)
OPERATOR: Australian Maritime Safety Authority
CHARACTER: Group Flashing (4) in 20.0 Seconds
LIGHT SOURCE: 1000 Watt 120v, Tungsten Halogen
POWER SOURCE: 120V DC Battery Bank Charged from 240V Mains Supply
INTENSITY: White: 43,800 cd; Red: 8,700 cd
ELEVATION: 37 Metres
RANGE: White: 17 Nautical Miles; Red: 14 Nautical Miles
HEIGHT: 13 Metres

HISTORY
The Mersey Bluff Lighthouse was established in 1889 and is built of bricks on a stone base. Work on the lighthouse started on October 16 1888, and was completed almost 12 months later on May 28 1889. The original Chance Bros. 4th order dioptric lens was first lit on 2nd August 1889, and used kerosene. The first lighthouse keeper was Mr W. Jacques, transferred from Swan Island. A second house was later built for the assistant keeper. The original lighthouse in 1889 replaced a succession of beacons and obelisks that had formerly stood on the site. It also replaced the earlier Don River light.  In 1910 the original kerosene lamp was converted to acetylene gas which was supplied by a Colt seven-day acetylene generator.

The light was converted to DC electric operation in 1920 and de-manned at the same time. The Lighthouse was converted to hydro electricity with gas standby in 1952, and a 2nd order (700mm) fixed lens was installed. The keepers’ houses were let to local tenants until they were demolished in 1966. In 1978 it was further converted to all electric operation. The lighthouse stands on top of the bluff to western side of the mouth of the Mersey River in Tasmania north of the Port of Devonport.  The establishment of the lighthouse ended a history of wrecks in this area.  The Commonwealth assumed responsibility for the lighthouse under the Commonwealth Lighthouse Act in 1915.  Four vertical red stripers were painted to the lighthouse in 1929 giving it its distinctive and memorable appearance.  It is unusual for an Australian lighthouse to have vertical stripes in its day mark.  Another unusual feature of this light-station is that it was connected to town water in 1901.

With distinctive four vertical red stripes, Mersey Bluff Lighthouse stands on north-western corner of the Mersey River mouth facing the Bass Strait, by Devonport, Tasmania, Australia. Image credit: Karatzas Images.

With distinctive four vertical red stripes, Mersey Bluff Lighthouse stands on north-western corner of the Mersey River mouth facing the Bass Strait, by Devonport, Tasmania, Australia. Image credit: Karatzas Images.

With distinctive four vertical red stripes, Mersey Bluff Lighthouse stands on north-western corner of the Mersey River mouth facing the Bass Strait, by Devonport, Tasmania, Australia. Image credit: Karatzas Images.

With distinctive four vertical red stripes, Mersey Bluff Lighthouse stands on north-western corner of the Mersey River mouth facing the Bass Strait, by Devonport, Tasmania, Australia. Image credit: Karatzas Images.

With distinctive four vertical red stripes, Mersey Bluff Lighthouse stands on north-western corner of the Mersey River mouth facing the Bass Strait, by Devonport, Tasmania, Australia. Image credit: Karatzas Images.

With distinctive four vertical red stripes, Mersey Bluff Lighthouse stands on north-western corner of the Mersey River mouth facing the Bass Strait, by Devonport, Tasmania, Australia. Image credit: Karatzas Images.

With distinctive four vertical red stripes, Mersey Bluff Lighthouse stands on north-western corner of the Mersey River mouth facing the Bass Strait, by Devonport, Tasmania, Australia. Image credit: Karatzas Images.

With distinctive four vertical red stripes, Mersey Bluff Lighthouse stands on north-western corner of the Mersey River mouth facing the Bass Strait, by Devonport, Tasmania, Australia. Image credit: Karatzas Images.

With distinctive four vertical red stripes, Mersey Bluff Lighthouse stands on north-western corner of the Mersey River mouth facing the Bass Strait, by Devonport, Tasmania, Australia. Image credit: Karatzas Images.

With distinctive four vertical red stripes, Mersey Bluff Lighthouse stands on north-western corner of the Mersey River mouth facing the Bass Strait, by Devonport, Tasmania, Australia. Image credit: Karatzas Images.

With distinctive four vertical red stripes, Mersey Bluff Lighthouse stands on north-western corner of the Mersey River mouth facing the Bass Strait, by Devonport, Tasmania, Australia. Image credit: Karatzas Images.

With distinctive four vertical red stripes, Mersey Bluff Lighthouse stands on north-western corner of the Mersey River mouth facing the Bass Strait, by Devonport, Tasmania, Australia. Image credit: Karatzas Images.

With distinctive four vertical red stripes, Mersey Bluff Lighthouse stands on north-western corner of the Mersey River mouth facing the Bass Strait, by Devonport, Tasmania, Australia. Image credit: Karatzas Images.

With distinctive four vertical red stripes, Mersey Bluff Lighthouse stands on north-western corner of the Mersey River mouth facing the Bass Strait, by Devonport, Tasmania, Australia. Image credit: Karatzas Images.

© 2013 – present Basil M Karatzas & Karatzas Marine Advisors & Co.  All Rights Reserved.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMERS:  Vessel description is provided in good faith and is believed to be correct and accurate but no assurances, warranties or representations are made herewith. Vessel description is provided for entertainment  purposes only. We have no responsibility whatsoever for any errors / omissions in vessel description.

Access to this blog signifies the reader’s irrevocable acceptance of this disclaimer. No part of this blog can be reproduced by any means and under any circumstances, whatsoever, in whole or in part, without proper attribution or the consent of the copyright and trademark holders of this website. Whilst every effort has been made to ensure that information herewithin has been received from sources believed to be reliable and such information is believed to be accurate at the time of publishing, no warranties or assurances whatsoever are made in reference to accuracy or completeness of said information, and no liability whatsoever will be accepted for taking or failing to take any action upon any information contained in any part of this website.  Thank you for the consideration.