Beavertail Lighthouse

Images of Beavertail Lighthouse (Rhode Island)

The present Beavertail Lighthouse was built in 1856,  and still is the premier lighthouse in Rhode Island, USA, marking the entrance to Narragansett Bay. The 64-foot (20 m) lighthouse lies on the southernmost point of Conanicut Island in the town of Jamestown, Rhode Island in Beavertail State Park, on a site where beacons have stood since the early 18th century. The original lighthouse (which was then known as “Newport Light”) was built  of wood in 1749, and was rebuilt in 1753 after a fire destroyed the original structure. The present lighthouse is the third to be built around that location.

The light provides navigation for boats and ships entering Narragansett Bay in the East Passage between Conanicut Island and Newport, Rhode Island on Aquidneck Island. Other lighthouses, such as Castle Hill Lighthouse, Point Judith Light, and Rose Island Light are visible from Beavertail Lighthouse.

Its white light rotates counterclockwise and makes a full rotation in about six seconds. The light is on 24 hours per day; it has a loud foghorn that blasts about every 30 seconds during the fog.

According to the Beavertail Lighthouse Museum Association website, key days in the history of the lighthouse:

1657 – Conanicut Island was purchased from the Narragansett Indians by a group of settlers from Newport.

1712 – The first official request for a permanent navigational aid (a lighthouse) was recorded in the documents of the Newport Town Meeting.

1731 – To raise funds for lighthouse construction, the first tariff was placed on imported and exported cargo passing through Newport (10 shillings per ton foreign; 18 shillings per ton local).

1749 – In February, the following appeared in the Newport Town Record:

“A committee was appointed to build a Lighthouse at Beavertail on the Island of Jamestown, alias Conanicut, as there appears a great necessity for a lighthouse as several misfortunes have happened lately for want of a light.”

Construction of the first lighthouse, the third in the colonies, began in May and ended in September 1749. The lighthouse was constructed of wood.

1753 – The wooden lighthouse was rebuilt after a fire destroyed the original.

1779 – British soldiers retreating from Newport burned the tower and removed the lighting equipment, leaving the beacon darkened for the rest of the Revolution.

1783 – Repair of the lighthouse was completed. United States Congress established its authority over the nation’s twelve lighthouses.

1852United States Lighthouse Board was established, and the agency quickly set about creating a modern lighthouse system.

1856 – A new lighthouse was constructed to replace the deteriorating 1753 structure. The new one measured 10 feet square, and 64 feet to the beacon. The new optic was a third-order Fresnel lens imported from France, a sparkling beehive of glass similar to that now housed in the Museum. The old tower was removed and on its foundation was built a fog-whistle house.

1898 – A dwelling was added to house an assistant keeper, who helped with fog signal duties. This house now serves as the Beavertail Lighthouse Museum.

1938 – The Great Hurricane of 1938 exposed the foundation of the original lighthouse, 100 feet in front of the present light. Hidden by the fog whistle building, it had long been forgotten.

1972 – The beacon was automated, part of a program which in 1989 ended the profession of lighthouse keeping in the United States (except for the Boston Light). Dominic Turillo was the last keeper to serve at Beavertail.

1983 – The Rhode Island Parks Association began restoring the deteriorating Assistant Keeper’s House as a lighthouse museum.

1989 – The Beavertail Lighthouse Museum was opened, the result of a joint effort by the Rhode Island Parks Association, the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management, the Town of Jamestown, and the United States Coast Guard.


 

Lighthouse Beavertail 1

Beavertail Lighthouse, the third in the location and built in 1856, is the premier lighthouse in Rhode Island; marking the entrance to Narragansett Bay, lies on the southernmost point of Conanicut Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Beavertail 2

Beavertail Lighthouse, the third in the location and built in 1856, is the premier lighthouse in Rhode Island; marking the entrance to Narragansett Bay, lies on the southernmost point of Conanicut Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Beavertail 3

Beavertail Lighthouse, the third in the location and built in 1856, is the premier lighthouse in Rhode Island; marking the entrance to Narragansett Bay, lies on the southernmost point of Conanicut Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Beavertail 4

Beavertail Lighthouse, the third in the location and built in 1856, is the premier lighthouse in Rhode Island; marking the entrance to Narragansett Bay, lies on the southernmost point of Conanicut Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Beavertail 5

Beavertail Lighthouse, the third in the location and built in 1856, is the premier lighthouse in Rhode Island; marking the entrance to Narragansett Bay, lies on the southernmost point of Conanicut Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Beavertail 6

Beavertail Lighthouse, the third in the location and built in 1856, is the premier lighthouse in Rhode Island; marking the entrance to Narragansett Bay, lies on the southernmost point of Conanicut Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Beavertail 7

Beavertail Lighthouse, the third in the location and built in 1856, is the premier lighthouse in Rhode Island; marking the entrance to Narragansett Bay, lies on the southernmost point of Conanicut Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Beavertail 8

Beavertail Lighthouse, the third in the location and built in 1856, is the premier lighthouse in Rhode Island; marking the entrance to Narragansett Bay, lies on the southernmost point of Conanicut Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Beavertail 9

Beavertail Lighthouse, the third in the location and built in 1856, is the premier lighthouse in Rhode Island; marking the entrance to Narragansett Bay, lies on the southernmost point of Conanicut Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Beavertail 10

Beavertail Lighthouse, the third in the location and built in 1856, is the premier lighthouse in Rhode Island; marking the entrance to Narragansett Bay, lies on the southernmost point of Conanicut Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Beavertail 11

Beavertail Lighthouse, the third in the location and built in 1856, is the premier lighthouse in Rhode Island; marking the entrance to Narragansett Bay, lies on the southernmost point of Conanicut Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Beavertail 12

Beavertail Lighthouse, the third in the location and built in 1856, is the premier lighthouse in Rhode Island; marking the entrance to Narragansett Bay, lies on the southernmost point of Conanicut Island. http://www.karatzas.com


© 2013-2015 Basil M Karatzas & Karatzas Marine Advisors & Co.  All Rights Reserved.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMERS:  Vessel description is provided in good faith and is believed to be correct and accurate but no assurances, warranties or representations are made herewith. Vessel description is provided for entertainment  purposes only. We have no responsibility whatsoever for any errors / omissions in vessel description.

Access to this blog signifies the reader’s irrevocable acceptance of this disclaimer. No part of this blog can be reproduced by any means and under any circumstances, whatsoever, in whole or in part, without proper attribution or the consent of the copyright and trademark holders of this website. Whilst every effort has been made to ensure that information herewithin has been received from sources believed to be reliable and such information is believed to be accurate at the time of publishing, no warranties or assurances whatsoever are made in reference to accuracy or completeness of said information, and no liability whatsoever will be accepted for taking or failing to take any action upon any information contained in any part of this website.  Thank you for the consideration.

Advertisements

Point Judith Light

Images of Point Judith Lighthouse (Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island)

The Point Judith Light is located at the north side of the eastern entrance to Block Island Sound and on the west side of the entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. The confluence of two waterways make this area busy with water traffic and the waters around Point Judith are very cold and dangerous. Historically, even with active lighthouses, there have been many shipwrecks off these coasts.

From the U.S. Coast Guard website:                                                                             Point Judith property was purchased on 25 May, 1809 from Hazard Knowles for the sum of $300.00. Point Judith has often been referred to as the “Cape Hatteras of New England”.

The treacherous waters and rocky shoreline was the scene of many shipwrecks in the 19th century. In an effort to protect mariners, William Ellery, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, established Point Judith Light in 1810. The Lighthouse was built of rough stone and was 35 feet high. The original lighthouse was destroyed in the hurricane of September 1815 and was rebuilt in 1816. To further protect shipping, a life saving station was established in July of 1875. Point Judith Station is the oldest station, on a continuous location, in the Coast Guard Sector Southeastern New England area of operation. It was one of the five original life saving stations that protected shipping on the southern shores surrounding Rhode Island. The station was manned by regularly employed Surfmen and was equipped with lifeboat and breeches buoy apparatus. So successful was this, that a new and larger station was built in 1882 to accommodate newer equipment and a larger crew. In September of 1933, the station was gutted by fire and then replaced with the present building in 1937. The destructive hurricane of 1938 destroyed the boathouse near Breakwater Village. A new boathouse was constructed in 1940 at Galilee. The present light was built in 1857. The tower is octagonal with the upper half painted brown and the lower half painted white. It’s 51 feet above ground and 65 feet above sea level and has a visibility of 16 NM on a clear day. Point Judith was very active during World War II and just two days prior to the end of the war (in Europe) assisted in the rescue of the steam collier “Black Point” which was torpedo four miles off the point.


 

Location Narragansett, Rhode Island
Year first constructed 1810
Year first lit 1857
Automated 1954
Foundation Granite blocks
Construction Granite blocks
Tower shape Octagonal conical
Markings / pattern Lower half, white
upper half, brown
Black lantern
Height 51 feet (16 m)
Focal height 65 feet (20 m)
Original lens Fourth order Fresnel lens
Current lens original
Range 16 nautical miles (30 km; 18 mi)
Characteristic Occulting 3 white 15 seconds
5s on, 2s off; 2s on, 2s off; 2s on, 2s off
Fog signal Horn, 1 blast every 15 seconds
Admiralty number J0628
ARLHS number USA-625
USCG number 1-19450

 

Lighthouse Point Judith 1

Built in 1857, of granite and in octagonal conical shape, with a brown upper and white lower half as distinctive daymark, Point Judith Light marking the west entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Point Judith 2

Built in 1857, of granite and in octagonal conical shape, with a brown upper and white lower half as distinctive daymark, Point Judith Light marking the west entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Point Judith 3

Built in 1857, of granite and in octagonal conical shape, with a brown upper and white lower half as distinctive daymark, Point Judith Light marking the west entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Point Judith 4

Built in 1857, of granite and in octagonal conical shape, with a brown upper and white lower half as distinctive daymark, Point Judith Light marking the west entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Point Judith 5

Built in 1857, of granite and in octagonal conical shape, with a brown upper and white lower half as distinctive daymark, Point Judith Light marking the west entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Point Judith 6

Built in 1857, of granite and in octagonal conical shape, with a brown upper and white lower half as distinctive daymark, Point Judith Light marking the west entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Point Judith 7

Built in 1857, of granite and in octagonal conical shape, with a brown upper and white lower half as distinctive daymark, Point Judith Light marking the west entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Point Judith 8

Built in 1857, of granite and in octagonal conical shape, with a brown upper and white lower half as distinctive daymark, Point Judith Light marking the west entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Point Judith 9

Built in 1857, of granite and in octagonal conical shape, with a brown upper and white lower half as distinctive daymark, Point Judith Light marking the west entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Point Judith 10

Built in 1857, of granite and in octagonal conical shape, with a brown upper and white lower half as distinctive daymark, Point Judith Light marking the west entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Point Judith 11

Built in 1857, of granite and in octagonal conical shape, with a brown upper and white lower half as distinctive daymark, Point Judith Light marking the west entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Point Judith 12

Built in 1857, of granite and in octagonal conical shape, with a brown upper and white lower half as distinctive daymark, Point Judith Light marking the west entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. http://www.karatzas.com


 

© 2013-2015 Basil M Karatzas & Karatzas Marine Advisors & Co.  All Rights Reserved.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMERS:  Vessel description is provided in good faith and is believed to be correct and accurate but no assurances, warranties or representations are made herewith. Vessel description is provided for entertainment  purposes only. We have no responsibility whatsoever for any errors / omissions in vessel description.

Access to this blog signifies the reader’s irrevocable acceptance of this disclaimer. No part of this blog can be reproduced by any means and under any circumstances, whatsoever, in whole or in part, without proper attribution or the consent of the copyright and trademark holders of this website. Whilst every effort has been made to ensure that information herewithin has been received from sources believed to be reliable and such information is believed to be accurate at the time of publishing, no warranties or assurances whatsoever are made in reference to accuracy or completeness of said information, and no liability whatsoever will be accepted for taking or failing to take any action upon any information contained in any part of this website.  Thank you for the consideration.

Concord Point Light

Images of Concord Lighthouse (Havre de Grace, Maryland)

Concord Point Light (lighthouse) is located in Havre de Grace, Maryland, overlooking the point where the Susquehanna River flows into the Chesapeake Bay (the northernmost lighthouse on the Chesapeake Bay). Concord Point Lighthouse was established to warn seafaring vessels away from the treacherous currents and shoals near the mouth of the Susquehanna River, an area of increasing navigational traffic at the time it was constructed in 1827. Master builder John Donahoo, a-multiple-terms Havre de Grace town commissioner, was responsible for the construction of the lighthouse in his hometown. At the time of its de-commissioning in 1975, Concord Point Lighthouse had the distinction of being the oldest beacon in continuous use in Maryland. The name Concord Point is derived from ‘Conquered Point’, which is itself a rearrangement of the original christening, ‘Point of Conquest’.

CONCORD POINT LIGHT QUICK FACTS                                                                         * Second oldest lighthouse in Maryland (built 1827)                                                             * Northern-most lighthouse on the Chesapeake Bay                                                            * 30-foot tower painted white with metal lantern painted black                                            * Built of local Port Deposit granite                                                                                       * Tower walls are 3 feet thick at the base, 18 inches at the top                                             * Fifth Order Fresnels lens                                                                                                     * 27 granite steps, 8-rung iron ladder to lantern                                                                    * Original tongue and groove mahogany door and lock                                                        * First keeper was John O’Neill, hero of the War of 1812                                                      * Automated in 1920                                                                                                             * Decommissioned in 1975; oldest light in continuous service at that time                           * Keeper’s Dwelling built in 1827 of local granite, 200 feet from the tower

LIGHTHOUSE DESCRIPTION                                                                                Concord Point Light is a 36-ft tall (11 m) tower that was built in 1827. It is the oldest lighthouse in Maryland that is accessible to the public and the second oldest tower lighthouse still standing on the Chesapeake Bay (Pooles Island Light (built 2 years earlier) is within Aberdeen Proving Ground but off-limits). Both lighthouses are very similar, built by John Donahoo from the local granite construction to the mahogany doors.

The original Keeper’s Dwelling still exists at Concord Point and has been fully restored to its 1884 version.

The lighthouse, a truncated conical tower topped by a lantern and deck, was built with Port Deposit granite, barged down the Susquehanna River. The walls are 31 inches (790 mm) thick at the base and narrow to 18 inches (460 mm) at the parapet. John Donahoo also built the keeper’s house across the street.

The lantern was originally lit with 9 whale oil lamps with 16-inch (410 mm) tin reflectors. In 1854, a sixth-order Fresnel lens was installed. This was later upgraded to a fifth-order Fresnel lens. The lighthouse was automated in 1920.

The 484-square-foot lighthouse tract was deeded to the federal government by the town commissioners in 1826, and on May 18 of that year Congress provided $2,500 for the lighthouse and added $1,500 to this amount on March 2, 1827. The tower’s walls are three feet, three inches thick at the base, where the inside diameter of the tower is eleven feet, and taper to a thickness of one-and-a-half-feet at the lantern room. A tongue and groove mahogany door, identical to one used at Pooles Island light, originally guarded the entrance-way, while a spiral staircase made of triangular granite steps leads to a quarter-circular stone landing, from which the lantern may be accessed by climbing a slightly angled iron ship’s ladder. The lantern floor is composed of radially cut stone pieces, which are held in place by flat iron keys. The storm panels on the lantern are secured by iron mullions cast in an unusual fin shape. The original illuminating apparatus consisted of multiple lamps, each with its own sixteen-inch reflector.

BACKGROUND HISTORY                                                                                                 In the nation’s early years, waterways provided the only means of effective transportation and communication. In 1789, Congress made aids to navigation, including lighthouses, the responsibility of the federal government instead of individual states. Cape Henry and other Virginia locations on the Chesapeake received the first lighthouses. Finally in 1819, Congress authorized the first Maryland lights at the entrance to Baltimore Harbor. The next 2 lighthouses were authorized in 1824 for Thomas Point Bar (entrance to Annapolis) and Pooles Island (guiding ships to the Gunpowder River and points north). The next year, the federal government authorized construction of a lighthouse on Concord Point in Havre de Grace at the entrance to the Susquehanna River.

Stephen Pleasanton, 5th auditor of the Treasury, was responsible for all aids to navigation. He sent Naval officer William Barney to Havre de Grace to obtain property on Concord Point for the light station. Barney’s task proved to be difficult because valuable fisheries lined the river bank and no one would sell their land. Finally the town commissioners agreed to provide the end of Lafayette Street for the lighthouse, but the keeper’s house and garden would have to be some distance away. In 1826, the State of Maryland authorized the city to transfer the end of Lafayette Street to the federal government. In May of 1827 the federal government signed deeds for both the 22 foot square plot on the riverbank and a 1 acre parcel landside. This unusual arrangement meant the keeper’s quarters would be 200 feet from the lighthouse, a sizable distance in poor weather.

Local documents describe the lighthouse area as being “seriously blighted” by 1924, and apparently remained that way for many years. The lighthouse was decommissioned by the Coast Guard in 1975 and soon after that the lens was stolen. The structure was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. Extensive restoration began in 1979, and is ongoing. The keeper’s house has been restored and is now open to the public as a museum.

A perusal of the Lighthouse Board’s annual reports reveals that Concord Point Lighthouse has been a relatively low-maintenance structure over the years. On May 10, 1855, a steamer’s lens replaced the nine constant-level lamps and reflectors used in the lantern room, and this in turn was upgraded to a sixth-order Fresnel lens in 1869, and then a fifth-order lens in 1891. The signature of the light was changed from fixed white to fixed red in in 1879, and then to fixed green in 1931.

In 1884, an extra story with four rooms was added to the keeper’s dwelling, providing better accommodations for Keeper Henry O’Neill and his family. The light was switched over to electrical operation in November 1918. Keeper O’Neill was scheduled to retire the following month, and he was allowed to remain in the house as a custodian. Following the passing of Keeper ’Neill , the dwelling was sold to Michael Fahey in 1920 for $4,000, and the structure was subsequently used as a rooming house, restaurant, and bar.

LIGHTHOUSE KEEPERS                                                                                                   * John O’Neill (1827 – 1838)                                                                                                * Thomas Courtney (1838 – 1841)                                                                                       * John Blaney (1841 – 1844)                                                                                                 * Thomas Courtney (1844 – 1849)                                                                                        * John Blaney (1849 – 1853)                                                                                                * Thomas Sutor (1853 – 1861)                                                                                             * John O’Neill, Jr. (1861 – 1863)                                                                                           * Esther O’Neill (1863 – 1881)                                                                                               * Henry E. O’Neill (1881 – 1918).

Over the years, the keepers of Concord Point Lighthouse were mostly descendants of John O’Neill, an Irish immigrant who arrived in America at the age eighteen. O’Neill achieved lasting fame during the War of 1812, when British ships commanded by Admiral Sir George Cockburn turned their guns on Havre de Grace. As a local militia lieutenant in charge of some four dozen men, O’Niell’s mission was to hold a small parapet of three cannons named Potato Battery. Many of O’Neill’s soldiers were too old to serve in the regular United States Army, and when the British opened fire they all quickly abandoned their posts. O’Neill declined to join his retreating men, and heroically took charge of one of the cannons himself. He later described the experience: “The grape shot flew thick about me. I loaded the gun myself without anyone to serve the vent, which, you know is very dangerous, and when I fired her, she recoiled and ran over my thigh.” Shortly thereafter O’Neill was forced to retreat into town; nevertheless he procured a musket and continued to fire on the ships, all the while trying to entice the fleeing members of his troop to return and assist him. O’Neill was eventually captured by the British and sentenced to be hanged aboard one of their ships, prompting his fifteen-year-old daughter to reportedly row out in a skiff and plead for her father’s life. Admiral Cockburn was so impressed by her courage that he released O’Neill and gave the Irishman’s daughter a gold and tortoise-shell snuff box, which is presently in the keeping of the Maryland Historical Society.

O’Neill managed to parlay his heroic stature into a town commissioner’s position in Havre de Grace. He also managed another political appointment: first lighthouse keeper at Concord Point. At the time, the appointment of keepers was a very politicized process, with the coveted jobs usually going to veterans and those well connected to powerful decision makers. O’Neill stayed on the job from 1827 until his death in 1838. Following O’Neill, Thomas Courtney and John Blaney each served two terms as keeper until Thomas Sutor took charge of the light in 1853. John O’Neill, Jr. succeeded Keeper Sutor in 1861 and served until his death in 1863, at which time his wife Esther assumed responsibility for the light. During a portion of the eighteen years she was in charge of the light, Esther was assisted by Gabriel Evans, her son-in-law. Henry E. O’Neill became keeper of the light after his mother resigned in 1881 and served until his death in 1919.

MODERN HISTORY                                                                                                    During World War I, the Lighthouse Service encouraged its personnel to grow gardens and purchase liberty bonds to support the war effort, and in 1918, seventy-seven-year-old Henry O’Neill used $300 he had saved for funeral expenses for himself and his wife to purchase bonds. A letter mentioning O’Neill’s sacrifice reached President Woodrow Wilson, to which he replied, “The inclosed letter is not only interesting but touching, and I am cheered to have seen it.”

The lighthouse and keeper’s house are maintained by The Friends of Concord Point Lighthouse. Both the tower and keeper’s house are open to visitors. The grounds are open year-round.

Concord Point Lighthouse was decommissioned in 1975, and shortly thereafter the Fresnel lens mysteriously disappeared from the tower. Some insist that the present lens, on loan from the Coast Guard and the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum, is in fact the original one that disappeared in 1975. Concord Point Lighthouse is currently listed as a private aid to navigation, exhibiting a light from its fifth-order Fresnel lens.

A group of concerned citizens formed the non-profit the Friends of Concord Point Lighthouse in 1979 to restore and maintain the structure. The tower was restored in 1981, and in 1983 a fifth-order Fresnel lens, on loan from the Coast Guard, was mounted in the lantern room.

The Friends of Concord Point Lighthouse helped turn the lighthouse grounds into a tree-lined park, which attracts thousands of visitors each year. The grounds were in the past open and grassy, without many sizable trees, and Havre de Grace town records indicate that portions of the grounds behind the keeper’s dwelling were initially swampy, requiring John O’Neill to fill them in using a horse and cart.

In 1988, the non-profit group turned its attentions to the keeper’s house, after the state acquired the property that year and turned it over to the city. As the dwelling had been significantly altered during its lifetime, the Friends commissioned a study of the house’s history and original architecture, which was a vital step given the Maryland Historic Trust’s very strict standards for restorations. Between 1988 and 1997, the structure was stabilized and modern additions were demolished, and then between 2002 and 2004, the interior of the dwelling was restored. A before and after photograph of the dwelling show the remarkable job the Friends have done. Visitors to the lighthouse and dwelling are now afforded a glimpse into the everyday lives of lighthouse keepers and their families, circa the late 1800s.


 

Lighthouse Concord Point 1

Concord Point Light – Lighthouse built of granite (11m tall) in 1827 and positioned in Chesapeake Bay, Maryland. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Concord Point 2

Concord Point Light – Lighthouse built of granite (11 m tall, originally lit with nine whale lamps) in 1827 and positioned in Chesapeake Bay, Maryland. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Concord Point 3

Concord Point Light – Lighthouse built of granite (11 m tall, originally lit with nine whale lamps) in 1827 and positioned in Chesapeake Bay, Maryland. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Concord Point 4

Concord Point Light – Lighthouse built of granite (11 m tall, originally lit with nine whale lamps) in 1827 and positioned in Chesapeake Bay, Maryland. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Concord Point 5

Concord Point Light – Lighthouse built of granite (11 m tall, originally lit with nine whale lamps) in 1827 and positioned in Chesapeake Bay, Maryland. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Concord Point 6

Concord Point Light – Lighthouse built of granite (11 m tall, originally lit with nine whale lamps) in 1827 and positioned in Chesapeake Bay, Maryland. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Concord Point 7

Concord Point Light – Lighthouse built of granite (11 m tall, originally lit with nine whale lamps) in 1827 and positioned in Chesapeake Bay, Maryland. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Concord Point 8

Concord Point Light – Lighthouse built of granite (11 m tall, originally lit with nine whale lamps) in 1827 and positioned in Chesapeake Bay, Maryland. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Concord Point 9

Concord Point Light – Lighthouse built of granite (11 m tall, originally lit with nine whale lamps) in 1827 and positioned in Chesapeake Bay, Maryland. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Concord Point 10

Concord Point Light – Lighthouse built of granite (11 m tall, originally lit with nine whale lamps) in 1827 and positioned in Chesapeake Bay, Maryland. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Concord Point 11

Concord Point Light – Lighthouse built of granite (11 m tall, originally lit with nine whale lamps) in 1827 and positioned in Chesapeake Bay, Maryland. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Concord Point 12

Concord Point Light – Lighthouse built of granite (11 m tall, originally lit with nine whale lamps) in 1827 and positioned in Chesapeake Bay, Maryland. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Concord Point 13

Concord Point Light – Lighthouse built of granite (11 m tall, originally lit with nine whale lamps) in 1827 and positioned in Chesapeake Bay, Maryland. http://www.karatzas.com


 

© 2013-2015 Basil M Karatzas & Karatzas Marine Advisors & Co.  All Rights Reserved.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMERS:  Vessel description is provided in good faith and is believed to be correct and accurate but no assurances, warranties or representations are made herewith. Vessel description is provided for entertainment  purposes only. We have no responsibility whatsoever for any errors / omissions in vessel description.

Access to this blog signifies the reader’s irrevocable acceptance of this disclaimer. No part of this blog can be reproduced by any means and under any circumstances, whatsoever, in whole or in part, without proper attribution or the consent of the copyright and trademark holders of this website. Whilst every effort has been made to ensure that information herewithin has been received from sources believed to be reliable and such information is believed to be accurate at the time of publishing, no warranties or assurances whatsoever are made in reference to accuracy or completeness of said information, and no liability whatsoever will be accepted for taking or failing to take any action upon any information contained in any part of this website.  Thank you for the consideration.