Images of Cape Hatteras Lighthouse

Images of the Iconic Cape Hatteras Lighthouse at the Outer Banks of North Carolina:

With its distinctive helical daymark, Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. Image credit: Karatzas Images

With its distinctive helical daymark, Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. Image credit: Karatzas Images

With its distinctive helical daymark, Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. Image credit: Karatzas Images

With its distinctive helical daymark, Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. Image credit: Karatzas Images

With its distinctive helical daymark, Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. Image credit: Karatzas Images

With its distinctive helical daymark, Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. Image credit: Karatzas Images

With its distinctive helical daymark, Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. Image credit: Karatzas Images

With its distinctive helical daymark, Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. Image credit: Karatzas Images

With its distinctive helical daymark, Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. Image credit: Karatzas Images

With its distinctive helical daymark, Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. Image credit: Karatzas Images

With its distinctive helical daymark, Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. Image credit: Karatzas Images

With its distinctive helical daymark, Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. Image credit: Karatzas Images

© 2013 – present Basil M Karatzas & Karatzas Images. All Rights Reserved.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMERS: The purpose of this blog is for entertainment and information purposes. Vessel description(s), if any, is/are provided in good faith and believed to be correct and accurate but no assurances, warranties or representations are made herewith. Any vessel description(s) is/are provided for entertainment purposes only. We assume no responsibility whatsoever for any errors / omissions in vessel description.

Access to this blog signifies the reader’s irrevocable acceptance of this disclaimer. No part of this blog can be reproduced by any means and under any circumstances, whatsoever, in whole or in part, without proper attribution or the consent of the copyright and trademark holders of this website. To purchase rights or merchandise of high resolutions images and art presented here, please visit www.karatzas.nyc or email < info [at] BMKaratzas.com >. Thank you for the consideration.

Advertisements

Images of Point Judith Light at Rhode Island

Images of Point Judith Light at Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island

We have posted twice in the past images from the Point Judith Light, in 2014 and 2015 and can be found by clicking on the hyperlinks.

High resolution images for sale of Point Judith Light at Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island can be found on our website, Karatzas Images.

Images herebeleow were taken in March 2019:

Images of Point Judith Light on the west side of the entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. Image credit: Karatzas Images

Images of Point Judith Light on the west side of the entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. Image credit: Karatzas Images

Images of Point Judith Light on the west side of the entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. Image credit: Karatzas Images

Images of Point Judith Light on the west side of the entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. Image credit: Karatzas Images

Images of Point Judith Light on the west side of the entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. Image credit: Karatzas Images

Images of Point Judith Light on the west side of the entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. Image credit: Karatzas Images

Images of Point Judith Light on the west side of the entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. Image credit: Karatzas Images

Images of Point Judith Light on the west side of the entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. Image credit: Karatzas Images

 

© 2013 – present Basil M Karatzas & Karatzas Images. All Rights Reserved.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMERS: The purpose of this blog is for entertainment and information purposes. Vessel description(s), if any, is/are provided in good faith and believed to be correct and accurate but no assurances, warranties or representations are made herewith. Any vessel description(s) is/are provided for entertainment purposes only. We assume no responsibility whatsoever for any errors / omissions in vessel description.

Access to this blog signifies the reader’s irrevocable acceptance of this disclaimer. No part of this blog can be reproduced by any means and under any circumstances, whatsoever, in whole or in part, without proper attribution or the consent of the copyright and trademark holders of this website. To purchase rights or merchandise of high resolutions images and art presented here, please visit www.karatzas.nyc or email < info [at] BMKaratzas.com >. Thank you for the consideration.

Beavertail Lighthouse

Images of Beavertail Lighthouse (Rhode Island)

The present Beavertail Lighthouse was built in 1856,  and still is the premier lighthouse in Rhode Island, USA, marking the entrance to Narragansett Bay. The 64-foot (20 m) lighthouse lies on the southernmost point of Conanicut Island in the town of Jamestown, Rhode Island in Beavertail State Park, on a site where beacons have stood since the early 18th century. The original lighthouse (which was then known as “Newport Light”) was built  of wood in 1749, and was rebuilt in 1753 after a fire destroyed the original structure. The present lighthouse is the third to be built around that location.

The light provides navigation for boats and ships entering Narragansett Bay in the East Passage between Conanicut Island and Newport, Rhode Island on Aquidneck Island. Other lighthouses, such as Castle Hill Lighthouse, Point Judith Light, and Rose Island Light are visible from Beavertail Lighthouse.

Its white light rotates counterclockwise and makes a full rotation in about six seconds. The light is on 24 hours per day; it has a loud foghorn that blasts about every 30 seconds during the fog.

According to the Beavertail Lighthouse Museum Association website, key days in the history of the lighthouse:

1657 – Conanicut Island was purchased from the Narragansett Indians by a group of settlers from Newport.

1712 – The first official request for a permanent navigational aid (a lighthouse) was recorded in the documents of the Newport Town Meeting.

1731 – To raise funds for lighthouse construction, the first tariff was placed on imported and exported cargo passing through Newport (10 shillings per ton foreign; 18 shillings per ton local).

1749 – In February, the following appeared in the Newport Town Record:

“A committee was appointed to build a Lighthouse at Beavertail on the Island of Jamestown, alias Conanicut, as there appears a great necessity for a lighthouse as several misfortunes have happened lately for want of a light.”

Construction of the first lighthouse, the third in the colonies, began in May and ended in September 1749. The lighthouse was constructed of wood.

1753 – The wooden lighthouse was rebuilt after a fire destroyed the original.

1779 – British soldiers retreating from Newport burned the tower and removed the lighting equipment, leaving the beacon darkened for the rest of the Revolution.

1783 – Repair of the lighthouse was completed. United States Congress established its authority over the nation’s twelve lighthouses.

1852United States Lighthouse Board was established, and the agency quickly set about creating a modern lighthouse system.

1856 – A new lighthouse was constructed to replace the deteriorating 1753 structure. The new one measured 10 feet square, and 64 feet to the beacon. The new optic was a third-order Fresnel lens imported from France, a sparkling beehive of glass similar to that now housed in the Museum. The old tower was removed and on its foundation was built a fog-whistle house.

1898 – A dwelling was added to house an assistant keeper, who helped with fog signal duties. This house now serves as the Beavertail Lighthouse Museum.

1938 – The Great Hurricane of 1938 exposed the foundation of the original lighthouse, 100 feet in front of the present light. Hidden by the fog whistle building, it had long been forgotten.

1972 – The beacon was automated, part of a program which in 1989 ended the profession of lighthouse keeping in the United States (except for the Boston Light). Dominic Turillo was the last keeper to serve at Beavertail.

1983 – The Rhode Island Parks Association began restoring the deteriorating Assistant Keeper’s House as a lighthouse museum.

1989 – The Beavertail Lighthouse Museum was opened, the result of a joint effort by the Rhode Island Parks Association, the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management, the Town of Jamestown, and the United States Coast Guard.


 

Lighthouse Beavertail 1

Beavertail Lighthouse, the third in the location and built in 1856, is the premier lighthouse in Rhode Island; marking the entrance to Narragansett Bay, lies on the southernmost point of Conanicut Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Beavertail 2

Beavertail Lighthouse, the third in the location and built in 1856, is the premier lighthouse in Rhode Island; marking the entrance to Narragansett Bay, lies on the southernmost point of Conanicut Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Beavertail 3

Beavertail Lighthouse, the third in the location and built in 1856, is the premier lighthouse in Rhode Island; marking the entrance to Narragansett Bay, lies on the southernmost point of Conanicut Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Beavertail 4

Beavertail Lighthouse, the third in the location and built in 1856, is the premier lighthouse in Rhode Island; marking the entrance to Narragansett Bay, lies on the southernmost point of Conanicut Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Beavertail 5

Beavertail Lighthouse, the third in the location and built in 1856, is the premier lighthouse in Rhode Island; marking the entrance to Narragansett Bay, lies on the southernmost point of Conanicut Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Beavertail 6

Beavertail Lighthouse, the third in the location and built in 1856, is the premier lighthouse in Rhode Island; marking the entrance to Narragansett Bay, lies on the southernmost point of Conanicut Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Beavertail 7

Beavertail Lighthouse, the third in the location and built in 1856, is the premier lighthouse in Rhode Island; marking the entrance to Narragansett Bay, lies on the southernmost point of Conanicut Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Beavertail 8

Beavertail Lighthouse, the third in the location and built in 1856, is the premier lighthouse in Rhode Island; marking the entrance to Narragansett Bay, lies on the southernmost point of Conanicut Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Beavertail 9

Beavertail Lighthouse, the third in the location and built in 1856, is the premier lighthouse in Rhode Island; marking the entrance to Narragansett Bay, lies on the southernmost point of Conanicut Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Beavertail 10

Beavertail Lighthouse, the third in the location and built in 1856, is the premier lighthouse in Rhode Island; marking the entrance to Narragansett Bay, lies on the southernmost point of Conanicut Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Beavertail 11

Beavertail Lighthouse, the third in the location and built in 1856, is the premier lighthouse in Rhode Island; marking the entrance to Narragansett Bay, lies on the southernmost point of Conanicut Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Beavertail 12

Beavertail Lighthouse, the third in the location and built in 1856, is the premier lighthouse in Rhode Island; marking the entrance to Narragansett Bay, lies on the southernmost point of Conanicut Island. http://www.karatzas.com


© 2013-2015 Basil M Karatzas & Karatzas Marine Advisors & Co.  All Rights Reserved.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMERS:  Vessel description is provided in good faith and is believed to be correct and accurate but no assurances, warranties or representations are made herewith. Vessel description is provided for entertainment  purposes only. We have no responsibility whatsoever for any errors / omissions in vessel description.

Access to this blog signifies the reader’s irrevocable acceptance of this disclaimer. No part of this blog can be reproduced by any means and under any circumstances, whatsoever, in whole or in part, without proper attribution or the consent of the copyright and trademark holders of this website. Whilst every effort has been made to ensure that information herewithin has been received from sources believed to be reliable and such information is believed to be accurate at the time of publishing, no warranties or assurances whatsoever are made in reference to accuracy or completeness of said information, and no liability whatsoever will be accepted for taking or failing to take any action upon any information contained in any part of this website.  Thank you for the consideration.

Point Judith Light

Images of Point Judith Lighthouse (Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island)

The Point Judith Light is located at the north side of the eastern entrance to Block Island Sound and on the west side of the entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. The confluence of two waterways make this area busy with water traffic and the waters around Point Judith are very cold and dangerous. Historically, even with active lighthouses, there have been many shipwrecks off these coasts.

From the U.S. Coast Guard website:                                                                             Point Judith property was purchased on 25 May, 1809 from Hazard Knowles for the sum of $300.00. Point Judith has often been referred to as the “Cape Hatteras of New England”.

The treacherous waters and rocky shoreline was the scene of many shipwrecks in the 19th century. In an effort to protect mariners, William Ellery, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, established Point Judith Light in 1810. The Lighthouse was built of rough stone and was 35 feet high. The original lighthouse was destroyed in the hurricane of September 1815 and was rebuilt in 1816. To further protect shipping, a life saving station was established in July of 1875. Point Judith Station is the oldest station, on a continuous location, in the Coast Guard Sector Southeastern New England area of operation. It was one of the five original life saving stations that protected shipping on the southern shores surrounding Rhode Island. The station was manned by regularly employed Surfmen and was equipped with lifeboat and breeches buoy apparatus. So successful was this, that a new and larger station was built in 1882 to accommodate newer equipment and a larger crew. In September of 1933, the station was gutted by fire and then replaced with the present building in 1937. The destructive hurricane of 1938 destroyed the boathouse near Breakwater Village. A new boathouse was constructed in 1940 at Galilee. The present light was built in 1857. The tower is octagonal with the upper half painted brown and the lower half painted white. It’s 51 feet above ground and 65 feet above sea level and has a visibility of 16 NM on a clear day. Point Judith was very active during World War II and just two days prior to the end of the war (in Europe) assisted in the rescue of the steam collier “Black Point” which was torpedo four miles off the point.


 

Location Narragansett, Rhode Island
Year first constructed 1810
Year first lit 1857
Automated 1954
Foundation Granite blocks
Construction Granite blocks
Tower shape Octagonal conical
Markings / pattern Lower half, white
upper half, brown
Black lantern
Height 51 feet (16 m)
Focal height 65 feet (20 m)
Original lens Fourth order Fresnel lens
Current lens original
Range 16 nautical miles (30 km; 18 mi)
Characteristic Occulting 3 white 15 seconds
5s on, 2s off; 2s on, 2s off; 2s on, 2s off
Fog signal Horn, 1 blast every 15 seconds
Admiralty number J0628
ARLHS number USA-625
USCG number 1-19450

 

Lighthouse Point Judith 1

Built in 1857, of granite and in octagonal conical shape, with a brown upper and white lower half as distinctive daymark, Point Judith Light marking the west entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Point Judith 2

Built in 1857, of granite and in octagonal conical shape, with a brown upper and white lower half as distinctive daymark, Point Judith Light marking the west entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Point Judith 3

Built in 1857, of granite and in octagonal conical shape, with a brown upper and white lower half as distinctive daymark, Point Judith Light marking the west entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Point Judith 4

Built in 1857, of granite and in octagonal conical shape, with a brown upper and white lower half as distinctive daymark, Point Judith Light marking the west entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Point Judith 5

Built in 1857, of granite and in octagonal conical shape, with a brown upper and white lower half as distinctive daymark, Point Judith Light marking the west entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Point Judith 6

Built in 1857, of granite and in octagonal conical shape, with a brown upper and white lower half as distinctive daymark, Point Judith Light marking the west entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Point Judith 7

Built in 1857, of granite and in octagonal conical shape, with a brown upper and white lower half as distinctive daymark, Point Judith Light marking the west entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Point Judith 8

Built in 1857, of granite and in octagonal conical shape, with a brown upper and white lower half as distinctive daymark, Point Judith Light marking the west entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Point Judith 9

Built in 1857, of granite and in octagonal conical shape, with a brown upper and white lower half as distinctive daymark, Point Judith Light marking the west entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Point Judith 10

Built in 1857, of granite and in octagonal conical shape, with a brown upper and white lower half as distinctive daymark, Point Judith Light marking the west entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Point Judith 11

Built in 1857, of granite and in octagonal conical shape, with a brown upper and white lower half as distinctive daymark, Point Judith Light marking the west entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. http://www.karatzas.com

Lighthouse Point Judith 12

Built in 1857, of granite and in octagonal conical shape, with a brown upper and white lower half as distinctive daymark, Point Judith Light marking the west entrance to Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. http://www.karatzas.com


 

© 2013-2015 Basil M Karatzas & Karatzas Marine Advisors & Co.  All Rights Reserved.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMERS:  Vessel description is provided in good faith and is believed to be correct and accurate but no assurances, warranties or representations are made herewith. Vessel description is provided for entertainment  purposes only. We have no responsibility whatsoever for any errors / omissions in vessel description.

Access to this blog signifies the reader’s irrevocable acceptance of this disclaimer. No part of this blog can be reproduced by any means and under any circumstances, whatsoever, in whole or in part, without proper attribution or the consent of the copyright and trademark holders of this website. Whilst every effort has been made to ensure that information herewithin has been received from sources believed to be reliable and such information is believed to be accurate at the time of publishing, no warranties or assurances whatsoever are made in reference to accuracy or completeness of said information, and no liability whatsoever will be accepted for taking or failing to take any action upon any information contained in any part of this website.  Thank you for the consideration.

Montauk Point Light

Images of Montauk Point Light (Montauk Lighthouse)

The Montauk Point Light is a lighthouse located in Montauk Point State Park at the easternmost point of Long Island in the State of New York. The lighthouse was the first to be built within the State of New York (commissioned in 1796 under President George Washington and the Second United States Congress), and was the first public works project of the new United States. Montauk Point Light is the fourth oldest active lighthouse in the United States. For its significance to New York and international shipping in the early Federal period, the Montauk Point Light has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1969, and in 2012, it was designated as a National Historic Landmark.

Location Montauk Point, Suffolk County, New York
Year first lit 1797
Automated 1987
Foundation 13 ft (4 m) deep and 9 ft (3 m) thick, Natural, Emplaced, built in 1796
Construction Sandstone
Tower shape Octagonal pyramidal
Markings / pattern Tower painted white with a broad brown band midway, lantern black
Height 110.5 ft (33.7 m) structure
Focal height 168 ft (51 m)
Original lens 8 whale oil lamps (1797), Fresnel lens
Current lens VRB-25
Range 18 nm
Characteristic Flashing White 5 seconds.
Fog signal Horn: 1 2s in every 15s
Light Montauk 1

Montauk Point Light on Long Island, State of New York, was commissioned in 1796 by President George Washington and the Second United States Congress. A historic landmark from the founding of the USA, for shipping and trade were the cornerstones for the prosperity of the new nation. http://www.karatzas.com

Light Montauk 2

Montauk Point Light on Long Island, State of New York, was commissioned in 1796 by President George Washington and the Second United States Congress. A historic landmark from the founding of the USA, for shipping and trade were the cornerstones for the prosperity of the new nation. http://www.karatzas.com

 

Light Montauk 3

Montauk Point Light on Long Island, State of New York, was commissioned in 1796 by President George Washington and the Second United States Congress. A historic landmark from the founding of the USA, for shipping and trade were the cornerstones for the prosperity of the new nation. http://www.karatzas.com

Light Montauk 4

Montauk Point Light on Long Island, State of New York, was commissioned in 1796 by President George Washington and the Second United States Congress. A historic landmark from the founding of the USA, for shipping and trade were the cornerstones for the prosperity of the new nation. http://www.karatzas.com

Light Montauk 5

Montauk Point Light on Long Island, State of New York, was commissioned in 1796 by President George Washington and the Second United States Congress. A historic landmark from the founding of the USA, for shipping and trade were the cornerstones for the prosperity of the new nation. http://www.karatzas.com

Light Montauk 6

Montauk Point Light on Long Island, State of New York, was commissioned in 1796 by President George Washington and the Second United States Congress. A historic landmark from the founding of the USA, for shipping and trade were the cornerstones for the prosperity of the new nation. http://www.karatzas.com

Light Montauk 7

Montauk Point Light on Long Island, State of New York, was commissioned in 1796 by President George Washington and the Second United States Congress. A historic landmark from the founding of the USA, for shipping and trade were the cornerstones for the prosperity of the new nation. http://www.karatzas.com

Light Montauk 8

Montauk Point Light on Long Island, State of New York, was commissioned in 1796 by President George Washington and the Second United States Congress. A historic landmark from the founding of the USA, for shipping and trade were the cornerstones for the prosperity of the new nation. http://www.karatzas.com

Light Montauk 9

Montauk Point Light on Long Island, State of New York, was commissioned in 1796 by President George Washington and the Second United States Congress. A historic landmark from the founding of the USA, for shipping and trade were the cornerstones for the prosperity of the new nation. http://www.karatzas.com

Light Montauk 10

Montauk Point Light on Long Island, State of New York, was commissioned in 1796 by President George Washington and the Second United States Congress. A historic landmark from the founding of the USA, for shipping and trade were the cornerstones for the prosperity of the new nation. http://www.karatzas.com

Light Montauk 11

Montauk Point Light on Long Island, State of New York, was commissioned in 1796 by President George Washington and the Second United States Congress. A historic landmark from the founding of the USA, for shipping and trade were the cornerstones for the prosperity of the new nation. http://www.karatzas.com

Light Montauk 12

Montauk Point Light on Long Island, State of New York, was commissioned in 1796 by President George Washington and the Second United States Congress. A historic landmark from the founding of the USA, for shipping and trade were the cornerstones for the prosperity of the new nation. http://www.karatzas.com


 

© 2013-2015 Basil M Karatzas & Karatzas Marine Advisors & Co.  All Rights Reserved.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMERS:  Vessel description is provided in good faith and is believed to be correct and accurate but no assurances, warranties or representations are made herewith. Vessel description is provided for entertainment  purposes only. We have no responsibility whatsoever for any errors / omissions in vessel description.

Access to this blog signifies the reader’s irrevocable acceptance of this disclaimer. No part of this blog can be reproduced by any means and under any circumstances, whatsoever, in whole or in part, without proper attribution or the consent of the copyright and trademark holders of this website. Whilst every effort has been made to ensure that information herewithin has been received from sources believed to be reliable and such information is believed to be accurate at the time of publishing, no warranties or assurances whatsoever are made in reference to accuracy or completeness of said information, and no liability whatsoever will be accepted for taking or failing to take any action upon any information contained in any part of this website.  Thank you for the consideration.

Lighthouse ‘Overfalls’

IMAGES OF LIGHTSHIP ‘OVERFALLS’

Lightship ‘Overfalls’ is one of only seventeen remaining lightships out of a total of 179 built from 1820 to 1952.  Designated a National Historic Landmark in 2011, she is one of seven lightships still open to the public in the US.

DETAILS:                                                                                                                               Builder: Rice Brothers, East Boothbay, ME.                                                                     Year Built: 1938                                                                                                        Length: 114′ 9″                                                                                                                  Beam: 26’0″                                                                                                                Draft: 13’4″                                                                                                                    Displacement: 412 Tons                                                                                             Illumination Apparatus: Duplex 375mm electric lens lantern, each rated 15,000cp         Propulsion: Diesel – one Cooper-Bessemer 8 cylinder air-start engine, 400 BHP, connected to shaft through reduction gear; 7’2″ diameter propeller; max speed 9 knots    Fog Signal: Dual air diaphones, switchable to single horn; hand operated bell

STATION ASSIGNMENTS                                                                                             1938 – 1957: Cornfield Point, Long Island Sound (CT)                                                      1958 – 1962: Cross Rip Station (MA)                                                                               1962 – 1972: Boston (MA)

The ship’s first assignment after she was launched on June 4, 1938, was to Cornfield Point, located in Long Island Sound roughly three miles from the Lynde Point Lighthouse and the entrance to the Connecticut River. While many lightships were armed and used as examination vessels during World War II, LV-118 remained on station throughout the conflict. In 1957, a lighted bell buoy was placed at Cornfield Point and LV-118 was reassigned to the Cross Rip Station, where it marked the shoal of the same name found just over seven miles offshore from the Cape Poge Lighthouse on Martha’s Vineyard.

Following four years at Cross Rip, LV-118 remained in Massachusetts but was transferred to the Boston Station, where it was anchored just over six miles east of Boston Lighthouse to mark the approaches to Boston Harbor. LV-118 was decommissioned on November 7, 1972, after receiving significant structural damage during a storm in December of 1970. In 1973, the lightship was donated to the Lewes Historical Society, who berthed the vessel along the Rehoboth Canal in Lewes, Delaware and gave her the name of the closest lightship station – Overfalls.

Although the lightship bears the ‘Overfalls’ insignia today, the ‘LV 118/WAL 539’ never actually served at the Overfalls station.

CONSTRUCTION                                                                                                           The Lightship ‘Overfalls’, known to the men who served aboard as LV-118, was the last lightship built for the U.S. Lighthouse Service (USLHS).  Built under contract by Rice Bros. Corporation of East Boothbay, Maine, LV-118 was the last lightship completed by the Lightship Service, though the Coast Guard, which absorbed the service in 1939, would build another six lightships. The hull of LV-118 was subdivided into an unusually large number of water-tight compartments below the main deck to reduce the risk of the vessel’s sinking in the event of a collision. LV-118 was equipped with diesel engines for propulsion and to power its radio-beacon, compressed-air fog signal, warning whistle, and its powerful masthead light. The radio-beacon and fog signal were synchronized for distance finding.

She was only one of the two lightships built in the 20th century for which the Congress made a separate appropriation for a lightship to serve on a specific station.  She was built in East Boothbay, Maine in 1938 and incorporated the latest features of lightship design at the time, including steel bulkheads to compartmentalize the ship.  She was the last lightship commissioned by the USLHS and the last built with a riveted construction. All subsequent lightships, and ships in general, were and are built using welded seam technology.

One year after ‘Overfalls’ was commissioned, the USLHS and all of its assets (lightships, lighthouses, etc.) in 1939 were merged into the U.S. Coast Guard, so for almost all of the ship’s service life she was a Coast Guard ship with uniformed Coast Guard crews aboard.

HISTORICAL DESIGNATIONS

  • National Register of Historic Places, (U.S. National Park Service), 1988.
  • National Historic Landmark, (U.S. National Park Service), 2011; due to ship’s unique characteristics (she has no sister ships which is unusual for lightships of the period which typically had one to five sister ships emanating from the same set of plans) and high degree of integrity.

OVERFALLS LIGHTSHIP STATION                                                                                 The Overfalls Lightship Station was located near the mouth of Delaware Bay, roughly three miles east of Cape Henlopen and 8.5 miles southwest of Cape May, and marked the Overfalls Shoal where the shallowest spot had a depth of only ten feet. Just four different lightships serviced the station between 1898 and 1960, when a buoy was used to mark the location. LV 101/WAL 524 had the longest tenure at the station, being anchored there from 1926 to 1951, and is now permanently docked at Portsmouth, Virginia where it is open to the public as a museum.

WLV-605 bore the station mark ‘Overfalls’ on her sides from when she was built in 1951 until the station was discontinued in 1960. One seaman and an engine-man were on watch at all times, and a four-hour watch was typically served followed by eight hours off. The men lived aboard for twenty-one days and were then treated to an eight-day leave.

Since the Overfalls Lightship acted as a mid-channel marker, traffic near the vessel was common. In October of 1954, a large tanker staved in the lightship’s bow and knocked it a full quarter mile off station. The lightship’s beacon blinked on for ten seconds and off for five seconds, while the fog horn, when necessary, sounded for 1.5 seconds, followed alternately by silence intervals of three and fourteen seconds. WLV-605 was also equipped with a radio beacon that sent out a dot-dash-dot signal on the 1st, 4th, 7th, and 31st, 34th, and 37th minutes of every hour.

An amateur ham radio station, K3CGA, was established on the lightship to help boost morale. By contacting a ham operator on shore, the men were often able to speak to their wives for hours at a time. A movie projector was also brought aboard in 1955 to help the man pass the time.

MODERN HISTORY                                                                                                         In 1973, the Coast Guard donated the ship to the Lewes Historical Society (LHS) to serve as a floating museum in Lewes, Delaware.  LHS brought her to her current location on the canal in downtown Lewes and painted on a new station name, OVERFALLS, in honor of the lightship station closest to Lewes, in the mouth of Delaware Bay where lightships had served as a mid-channel marker from 1898 to 1960 when the station was discontinued.

In 1999, the Lewes Historical Society reluctantly decided to sell the lightship due to upkeep expenses and liability issues. When a potential sale fell through, a group of local citizens, later officially called the Overfalls Maritime Museum Foundation, stepped and purchased the lightship. An ambitious lot known as the “Dirty Hands Gang,” has worked tirelessly to clean, prep, paint and restore the lightship. When additional expertise was needed, contractors were hired to help with complex tasks such as electrical wiring and asbestos removal.

After over 15,000 hours of donated labor, the gang had completely rehabilitated the lightship, inside and out, by 2007, leaving just the restoration of the hull below the waterline. Several shipyards were contacted to dry-dock the lightship and repair its hull, but Colonna Shipyard of Norfolk, Virginia with a bid of $270,000 was eventually selected. Starting on September 2, 2008, a hydraulic and mechanical dredger were used to free the Overfalls from the buildup of years of mud around her hull. By the end of the month the lightship was floating free at her berth and had been inspected by a marine surveyor, allowing the Coast Guard to issue a tow permit.

Early on Tuesday, October 14, a tugboat provided courtesy of Wilmington Tug Inc. extracted the lightship from its birth and towed the vessel out into the Delaware Bay – the first step in its 275-mile voyage that would take it up Delaware Bay, through the C&D Canal, and down the Chesapeake Bay to Norfolk.

Claymont Steel donated plates that over a period of three months were welded onto the pitted and corroded areas of the Overfalls’ hull. The lightship was re-floated on January 19, 2009, but a leak was found that delayed the completion of the work until early March. The ‘Overfalls’ remained in Norfolk until favorable springtime weather allowed her return to Lewes.  After several months at the shipyard in Norfolk, the lightship returned home to Lewes on May 31, 2009 via the Atlantic Ocean rather than the Chesapeake Bay, which shortened the length of the journey. With a Coast Guard escort, the Lewes fireboat, a flotilla of local boaters, and hundreds of well-wishers looking on, a pair of tugboats maneuvered the lightship into its slip, where it will soon be open to the public.

Lightship ‘Overfalls’ was officially dedicated as a National Historic Landmark, the thirteenth National Historic Landmark in Delaware, during a ceremony held at the lightship on October 5, 2011.

One again, a monumental historical project had to be left in the hands of local communities and individual volunteers and corporate sponsors with a profound sense of historic responsibility and appreciation, yet the acuteness of a lightning rod with foresight and bequest to future generations to undertake a project of saving a heap of scrap metal from the torch …  maritime history is our history … and, we are thankful for the salt and the sacrifices of the generations before us …


 

Lightship Overfalls 1

The last lightship to be built by the pioneering U.S. Lighthouse Service (USLHS) in 1938, today ‘Overfalls’ is one of the last surviving floating lighthouses serving as a museum ship and open to the public. Designated as a National Historic Landmark, she’s located in Lewes, Delaware. http://www.karatzas.com

Lightship Overfalls 2

The last lightship to be built by the pioneering U.S. Lighthouse Service (USLHS) in 1938, today ‘Overfalls’ is one of the last surviving floating lighthouses serving as a museum ship and open to the public. Designated as a National Historic Landmark, she’s located in Lewes, Delaware. http://www.karatzas.com

Lightship Overfalls 3

The last lightship to be built by the pioneering U.S. Lighthouse Service (USLHS) in 1938, today ‘Overfalls’ is one of the last surviving floating lighthouses serving as a museum ship and open to the public. Designated as a National Historic Landmark, she’s located in Lewes, Delaware. http://www.karatzas.com

Lightship Overfalls 4

The last lightship to be built by the pioneering U.S. Lighthouse Service (USLHS) in 1938, today ‘Overfalls’ is one of the last surviving floating lighthouses serving as a museum ship and open to the public. Designated as a National Historic Landmark, she’s located in Lewes, Delaware. http://www.karatzas.com

Lightship Overfalls 5

The last lightship to be built by the pioneering U.S. Lighthouse Service (USLHS) in 1938, today ‘Overfalls’ is one of the last surviving floating lighthouses serving as a museum ship and open to the public. Designated as a National Historic Landmark, she’s located in Lewes, Delaware. http://www.karatzas.com

Lightship Overfalls 6

The last lightship to be built by the pioneering U.S. Lighthouse Service (USLHS) in 1938, today ‘Overfalls’ is one of the last surviving floating lighthouses serving as a museum ship and open to the public. Designated as a National Historic Landmark, she’s located in Lewes, Delaware. http://www.karatzas.com

Lightship Overfalls 7

The last lightship to be built by the pioneering U.S. Lighthouse Service (USLHS) in 1938, today ‘Overfalls’ is one of the last surviving floating lighthouses serving as a museum ship and open to the public. Designated as a National Historic Landmark, she’s located in Lewes, Delaware. http://www.karatzas.com

Lightship Overfalls 8

The last lightship to be built by the pioneering U.S. Lighthouse Service (USLHS) in 1938, today ‘Overfalls’ is one of the last surviving floating lighthouses serving as a museum ship and open to the public. Designated as a National Historic Landmark, she’s located in Lewes, Delaware. http://www.karatzas.com

Lightship Overfalls 9

The last lightship to be built by the pioneering U.S. Lighthouse Service (USLHS) in 1938, today ‘Overfalls’ is one of the last surviving floating lighthouses serving as a museum ship and open to the public. Designated as a National Historic Landmark, she’s located in Lewes, Delaware. http://www.karatzas.com

Lightship Overfalls 10

The last lightship to be built by the pioneering U.S. Lighthouse Service (USLHS) in 1938, today ‘Overfalls’ is one of the last surviving floating lighthouses serving as a museum ship and open to the public. Designated as a National Historic Landmark, she’s located in Lewes, Delaware. http://www.karatzas.com

Lightship Overfalls 11

The last lightship to be built by the pioneering U.S. Lighthouse Service (USLHS) in 1938, today ‘Overfalls’ is one of the last surviving floating lighthouses serving as a museum ship and open to the public. Designated as a National Historic Landmark, she’s located in Lewes, Delaware. http://www.karatzas.com

Lightship Overfalls 12

The last lightship to be built by the pioneering U.S. Lighthouse Service (USLHS) in 1938, today ‘Overfalls’ is one of the last surviving floating lighthouses serving as a museum ship and open to the public. Designated as a National Historic Landmark, she’s located in Lewes, Delaware. http://www.karatzas.com


 

© 2013-2015 Basil M Karatzas & Karatzas Marine Advisors & Co.  All Rights Reserved.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMERS:  Vessel description is provided in good faith and is believed to be correct and accurate but no assurances, warranties or representations are made herewith. Vessel description is provided for entertainment  purposes only. We have no responsibility whatsoever for any errors / omissions in vessel description.

Access to this blog signifies the reader’s irrevocable acceptance of this disclaimer. No part of this blog can be reproduced by any means and under any circumstances, whatsoever, in whole or in part, without proper attribution or the consent of the copyright and trademark holders of this website. Whilst every effort has been made to ensure that information herewithin has been received from sources believed to be reliable and such information is believed to be accurate at the time of publishing, no warranties or assurances whatsoever are made in reference to accuracy or completeness of said information, and no liability whatsoever will be accepted for taking or failing to take any action upon any information contained in any part of this website.  Thank you for the consideration.